Urban Myths :
- Termites Destroy Houses
- Black Ants stop White Ants
- If you disturb termites in the garden or fences you will chase them into house
- You can infest your yard with infested mulch
- You can infest your house with infested firewood
- You see termites going though weep holes
- When your house is infested you will see holes and piles of dust
- Older houses especially old wood houses are most likely to get termites
- New houses especially brick veneer houses are safer.
- Units, Commercial buildings etc don’t get termites.
- Termites are out of control and eating though whole suburbs.
- Every thing you see on TV is true.
- Termites and white ants are the same thing…. just different names.
- Borers are not termites.
- Termites are blind and have little sense of smell
- Flying ants are mostly termites
- Termites are what are commonly called white ants
- Termites are more closely related to cockroaches than ants
- Termites are not white and don’t look like ants (White Ant is a poor common name)
- Termites must start nest in yard. Can’t start in house.
- There are termites in almost every square metre of every yard.
Every house will get infested on average every 20 – 30 years. About 3% house get infested each year.
98% people find termites without even looking for them.
98% people find termites before major damage occurs.
98% of people get less than $2000 worth of damage.
Termites are more difficult to treat…but treatment is ALWAYS successful and will always involve an integrated approach using several different treatment statergies.
Pest control technician can only provide part of the solution.
“Your home will get termites it’s when not if… No termite treatment or strategy can give 100% protection…. Eternal Vigilance is your only Defence”.
Learn more about termites in our next articles.